Spring Training Notes: February 26th
Quick Notes on today’s action down in Clearwater. A pretty quiet day for the Phillies as they defeat the Minnesota Twins 5-4.
- Zach Eflin, as predicted, came out and pitched strong in his training debut throwing two scoreless innings with one walk.
- Adam Morgan relieved Eflin pitching a scoreless inning himself, with a hit and two strikeouts.
- Garrett Cleavinger gave up the 2 run lead by allowing 2 runs on 2 walks and a hit.
- JD Hammer wasn’t much better – throwing 1.2 innings and allowing 2 more runs on 2 two solo HRs and a walk. (not great for a fan favorite)
- Trevor Kelley threw 1.1 scoreless innings with a strikeout.
- Cristopher Sanchez got himself in some trouble allowing 2 walks in the bottom of the 8th but got out of the jam unscathed striking out three.
- Adonis Medina came in throwing a scoreless 9th to close out the game.
AT THE PLATE:
- Phil Gosselin hit a sac fly scoring Mikie Mahtook in the 2nd inning.
- Jean Segura continues to play 3rd base and went 2 for 3 at the plate with an RBI single to deep center in the 3rd inning.
- Mickey Moniak checked into the game and tripled to deep right scoring Ali Castillo.
- Nick Maton followed up with a single to knock in Mickey Moniak to tie the game at 4-4.
- Arquimedes Gamboa broke the 4-4 tie in the top of the 9th with two outs – hitting a solo HR to right.
A relatively boring day down in Clearwater. Nice to see Eflin and Morgan on the mound with a solid outing, Jean Segura hitting well per usual and Moniak coming in clutch late in the game.
One month to go until Opening Day. It can’t come soon enough.