Key Points: Klentak’s Zoom Call
Matt Klentak spent 40 minutes yesterday on a Zoom call with local media yesterday running through the MLB’s return and all the headlines surrounding the Phillies.
Here are the key points from the call.
JT Realmuto Contract:
Much to the dismay of myself and TLL Twitter, Klentak said it was “too soon to tell” when the team will begin contract negotiations with JT Realmuto. I wanted him signed last Friday when the clock struck noon.
The Phillies need to lock in JT Realmuto today. pic.twitter.com/6rKErK7enH
— The Liberty Line (@LibertyLinePHL) June 26, 2020
That didn’t happen. Not surprised though. I actually understand Klentak’s answer and don’t believe it’s a cause for concern. The MLB is returning, there’s a million new updates a day, now teams have to get together, begin Spring Training II all by July 1st. There’s just a lot going on.
On the financial end, revenue is so uncertain. It will definitely play into what JT Realmuto gets in terms of an extension or if he moves towards Free Agency after this shortened year.
The longer this goes on, the worse. Everything is still new and fresh right now so I’m not too concerned yet.
- Almost everyone on the team is in town, with the rest arriving over the next few days.
- To date, no Phillies player has spoken about opting out this year.
- There will be players on the COVID List because they did contract the virus OR because they were in contact with someone who had the virus.
- 53-Man Roster was as planned and gives them flexibility on the final 7 roster spots.
- Odubel Herrera not on the list and will have to impress the organization on and off the field to earn a spot.
- Spencer Howard and Alec Bohm should factor into the Phillies roster this year.
- DH will be a rotating position. Expect to see many faces in the lineup, including Harper, Hoskins, Realmuto, and Bohm.
- McCutchen is ready to go.
More to come as Spring Training II kicks off July 1st.