Fake News: Beating a team 3 times in a season is not as difficult as you think
What if I told you, beating an NFL team three times in a single season is not all that difficult. In fact, it’s falls squarely into the ‘Fake News’ category.
Whenever an NFL team faces a divisional opponent for a third time after defeating them twice during the regular season, you’re bound to see a lot of, “Well you know, it’s really hard to beat a team three times in a single season!”
That phrase is usually uttered by fans of the team who’s already lost the previous two matchups. New York Giants fans have been screaming it from their rooftops this entire week, as they prepare to face the No. 1 seed Philadelphia Eagles Saturday night.
Of course, the Eagles took the regular season series from New York. They dismantled the Giants in New York on December 11, 48-22. Then in the regular season finale, Philly got the W over New York’s backups.
FanDuel Sportsbook: Bet $5, Get $150 in Free Bets
- Sign up for a new FanDuel account
- Make Your First Deposit
- Bet $5 On Any Sport
- Get $150 In Free Bets Instantly
In an attempt to spread optimism, Giants fans have latched onto this narrative that it’s actually difficult to beat a team three times in a season. It’s fake news, here’s why.
Since 1970, there have been 24 instances where a team going 2-0 against an opponent in the regular season meets that same team in the postseason. The team that sits at 2-0 on the season series has a record of 15-9 in the third matchup. If said team is hosting a playoff game, their record sits at 14-5.
See, I told you. Fake News
You have to feel for Giants fans just a little bit here. They haven’t won a playoff game in so long that they forget what a true Super Bowl contender looks like. Sadly for them, they’ll see one first-hand come Saturday night.
If leaning into this fake news narrative helps you cope with the impending bloodbath at The Linc, then so be it.
Listen to the most recent episode of Grease the Poles
Eagles vs. 49ers NFC Championship Game Preview, Key Matchups, Final Score Predictions – Grease the Poles
- Eagles vs. 49ers NFC Championship Game Preview, Key Matchups, Final Score Predictions
- The Philadelphia Eagles Are Once Again the Best Team in the NFL, Dallas Disappoints, Looking Ahead to NFC Championship
- Eagles-Giants Game Preview feat. Victor Williams, Expectations for Jalen Hurts, How Jonathan Gannon will Attack Daniel Jones, Score Predictions
- EAGLES DIVISIONAL ROUND WEEK! Initial Thoughts on Eagles-Giants, Reactions from Super Wildcard Weekend
- TRUE CRIME SPECIAL: Bryan Kohberger and the Grisly Idaho University Murders
Mandatory Credit: Getty Images