Zack Wheeler, Phillies offense dismantle the St. Louis Cardinals 12-1
The Philadelphia Phillies destroyed the St. Louis Cardinals yesterday, winning their second straight game 12-1 backed by a dominant performance from Zack Wheeler on the mound and three home runs at the plate.
Wheeler cruised through 7+ innings, allowing one run on three hits while striking out 10. He is now 10-6 on the season with a 3.59 ERA and over his last 14 starts, he’s 6-2 with a 3.02 ERA. The Phillies have won 10 out of Wheeler’s last 14 starts.
This is the offense fans and the Phillies themselves envisioned when signing Trea Turner to a 10-year, $300 million contract heading into this season. Kyle Schwarber got on base three times last night, while Turner and Harper both notched multi-hit games. Nick Castellanos, Brandon Marsh, and Bryson Stott all hit home runs.
The Phillies have now hit 48 home runs in the month of August, the most in Major League Baseball and a new franchise record.
Phillies Red Hot August 🔥
- Harper is hitting .361 with 30 hits, 7 home runs, 18 RBIs, and 19 runs scored in 22 games this month.
- Turner is hitting .301 with 28 hits, 5 home runs, 16 RBIs, and 16 runs scored in 23 games this month.
- Nick Castellanos is hitting .290 with 29 hits, 8 home runs, 22 RBIs, and 15 runs scored in 23 games this month.
Cardinals vs Phillies (Aug. 26th)
- Trea Turner: 2-4, RBI, 2 R
- Bryce Harper: 3-4, 2 RBI, BB, 2 R
- Nick Castellanos: 2-5, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Bryson Stott: 2-4, RBI, 2 R
Bryson Stott Solo Home Run
Nick Castellanos 3-Run Home Run
Brandon Marsh 3-Run Home Run
Phillies improve to 71-58 on the season
In the NL Wild Card, the Phillies remain in the top spot with a 3.5 lead.
Aaron Nola will take the mound today against rookie left-hander Drew Rom, looking to sweep the Cardinals before welcoming the Los Angeles Angels to Citizens Bank Park for their last series in the month of August.