Phillies Spring Training Notes: February 25th
Quick notes on today’s action for the Phillies in Spring Training. Phillies beat the Pirates 6-2 while the other half of the squad lost 13-6 to the Blue Jays.
- Damon Jones threw 2 scoreless innings with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts. Striking out 12 batters per nine innings in the minors last season, Jones is looking for that 5th spot in the rotation and is definitely making his case.
- Ranger Suarez makes his case for the 5th spot in the pitching rotation throwing 2 scoreless, letting up only one hit, one walk, and striking one out.
- Alec Bohm stays hot. At DH today, Bohm went 2 for 3 with a run scored. Plate discipline with this kid is impressive.
- Bryce Harper made his Spring Training debut. Nothing too flashy – finishing with a walk, a stolen base, and sac fly RBI. Here’s a vid of him murdering balls yesterday at practice:
It’s Monday, so here is a video of Bryce Harper absolutely mashing dingers. pic.twitter.com/DggvUlxRhM
— NBC Sports Philadelphia (@NBCSPhilly) February 17, 2020
- JT Realmuto went 2 for 3. He crushed a triple today and is already looking to be in mid-season form. (p.s. he needs a contract extension).
- Jake Arrieta stinks early but settles down for a solid inning. He probably still blamed someone else for letting up a 3 run HR in the first inning though.
- Jhailyn Ortiz shows some pretty impressive power with a Grand Slam. But strikeout concerns still looming.
Jhailyn Ortiz with a grand display of power. 💪 pic.twitter.com/1fqkClKPvg
— Philadelphia Phillies (@Phillies) February 25, 2020
- Kyle Garlick nailed a runner at home plate from RF as he looks to nail down a bench spot.
- Adam Haseley enters the concussion protocol after face planting on a diving catch in the outfield. Yes, it’s Spring Training. Yes, I absolutely love this. He’s also hitting everything hard at the plate – excited for him to take over the center field this year.
Next Up: The Phillies face the Twins tomorrow at 1pm EST.