The 2021 Top 10 Prospect List for the Philadelphia Phillies
Each year Baseball America drops a Top 10 Prospect List for each Major League Baseball team. Here’s a look at the Phillies Top 10 list according to the highly touted publication.
1. Spencer Howard: The 24-year-old right-hander did not turn into a difference-maker during his 2020 debut in a season that really kept him in check due to COVID-19. Howard went 1-2 with a 5.92 ERA in six starts and allowed 30 hits in 24 1/3 innings. The Phillies need him to take a regular turn in the rotation in 2021.
2. Mick Abel: With their first pick (#15 overall) in the 2020 MLB Draft the Phillies selected Mick Abel, a right handed pitcher out of Jesuit High School in Oregon. He was the consensus top prep pitcher in the draft and the first one taken. Abel was set to attend Oregon State in the fall; one of the best programs in college baseball.
3. Bryson Stott: The 23-year-old shortstop is hopeful to become a future star on the Phillies. He was the Phillies’ first-round pick in 2019 out of UNLV. According to BA: Stott is a solid shortstop who doesn’t have many holes in his game.
4. Francisco Morales: Morales is 6-5, 260 pounds and 21 years old. He has a power arm and the Phillies hope to turn him into a mid-rotation starter or late-game reliever. Lord knows they need help in both categories. That will depend heavily on Morales’ development of his off-speed pitches.
5. Rafael Marchan: We remember Marchan for his game-tying 3-run home run in the second half of a double header against the Blue Jays. He gained some valuable experience in the majors in 2020 and is solid behind the plate. If he can continue to work on his power at the plate, he could turn into a valuable piece for the Phillies’ future.
6. Luis Garcia: Garcia was one of the top international prospects when the Phillies signed him in 2017. A year later, he won the Gulf Coast League batting title (.369). After the Phillies pushed him to the Atlantic League in 2019, it looked like Garcia wasn’t quite ready to make that leap and hit under .200. Luis is just 20 years old and continues to develop strength at the plate.
7. Yhoswar Garcia: The 19-year old centerfielder has yet to play in a professional game in the Phillies’ system first because of an age discrepancy when and later because of the pandemic. They literally call Garcia “The Drone” because of how fast and athletic he is on the field.
8. Simon Muzziotti: Muzziotti is 22 years-old and was a Florida State League All-Star in 2019. He will most likely find himself on the Phillies’ 40-man roster to avoid the Rule 5 Draft.
9. Johan Rojas: Strong at the plate and can play any position in the outfield. Looks to be a great utility guy for the Phillies in the future.
10. Nick Maton: This is Maton’s second year in a row on the Top 10 prospect list. The 24 year old can play anywhere in the infield and had a strong Spring Training Camp earlier this year for the Phillies down in Clearwater.
To Note: Alec Bohm has obviously fallen off the list since he’s now a certified stud at Third Base for the Phillies. Mickey Moniak fell off the list for the opposite reason. After checking in at nine last year, Moniak was called up late in the 2020 season and failed to impress. Hopefully he can turn that around in 2021 or I will be screaming bust from the top of City Hall.
Still waiting for any type of movement on the free agency front with the Phillies. We’ll keep you updated.