Ben Simmons Rumor Roundup: Bad Trade Speculation, COVID Protocol, and more on his return to Philadelphia
News from Ben Simmons keeps pouring in. After a bizarre start to the week in which Ben Simmons showed up unannounced to the Wells Fargo Center before the Nets-76ers game on Monday night to undergo the leagues mandatory COVID-19 test, it appears that Simmons is back in Philadelphia.
According to Anthony Gargano, here’s how that situation went down:
- Ben Simmons shows up with his brother to the Wells Fargo Center.
- He still has no intention to play, but came so the fines would stop and the 76ers would have to pay him. (Is this true?)
- Simmons received a COVID-19 test and has now entered protocols. According to other reports, the delay in joining the team is due to the fact that Simmons is not vaccinated.
- Simmons is allowed to practice in isolation with 76ers staff for the next five days until he is cleared to rejoin team activities.
- Ben Simmons, who had his Moorestown house up for sale, apparently showed up to the house with security after returning to Philadelphia and will be staying there, even though the house is still listed to sell.
- Gargano himself stated that his sources are still hesitant to commit to Ben Simmons actually playing for the 76ers and that his return is solely “based on money”.
Even more reports were floating around this morning about potential trade packages for the Philadelphia 76ers with some new names popping up. Jake Fischer from the Bleacher Report said the following:
- Pistons would discuss Jerami Grant in a deal
- 76ers are not interested in Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker from SA
- The Kings aren’t trading Fox or Haliburton
- Minnesota isn’t pursing Ben as much since Gupta took over
Reports yesterday confirmed that the 76ers are not interested in swapping Ben Simmons for Kyrie Irving either. None of the trade packages above even make sense for the Sixers anyways. Anything that has been communicated from the 76ers organization has basically said they expect Ben Simmons to rejoin the Sixers and aren’t budging on Morey’s ridiculous trade package requirements.
The entire situation, as we all know, is pretty fascinating. I’m not sure that anyone has ever witnessed something like this in professional sports history. I am still holding out hope that Ben Simmons returning to Philadelphia is a good sign. He did meet with the organization yesterday, specifically Doc Rivers, Daryl Morey, and Elton Brand. What was said in that meeting is still unclear.
Coming back to Philadelphia without notifying anyone is definitely interesting. As I talked about before, is Ben Simmons turning his back on Klutch Sports and Rich Paul? Remember, reports state that he only came back to Philly with his brother.
On the other side of the spectrum, although unlikely, maybe Ben Simmons has finally turned heel. For the first time in his life, there’s a chance he put himself in a very uncomfortable situation by returning to Philadelphia. It could be an important first step in changing his ways and stepping outside of his comfort zone.
Could shooting be next?
It’s such a dumb question to even ask. However, if Ben Simmons had a brain, he would realize that the only way to get out of Philadelphia as fast as possible would be to play basketball at an All-Star level and shoot from all over the court. This would send his trade value through the roof. From there, the 76ers can find a trade package that they are comfortable with and Ben Simmons could finally get out of the city that he has grown to hate for absolutely no reason.
As we all know, everything could be forgiven with Ben Simmons. No matter what your emotions are telling you, the 76ers are a better basketball team with Ben Simmons. Joel Embiid continues to reiterate that point. Embiid also said that Simmons coming back and doing what he does in his notorious offseason videos would “definitely help.”
There’s a path for redemption. Let’s all hope that Ben Simmons welcomes the challenge.
Mandatory Credit: Getty Images
[…] we did a quick roundup on Ben Simmons and all the new updates that came pouring in. It’s been a pretty quiet morning for Ben Simmons […]