Flyers lose 2-1 in overtime to the Florida Panthers
The Philadelphia Flyers battled the Florida Panthers on the second half of a back-to-back and lost in overtime 2-1. Morgan Frost made his season debut after being recalled following an injury to Brassard. Former Flyer Sergei Bobrovsky got the start for Florida and Martin Jones started for Philly.
The Flyers’ starting lineup
Flyers line rushes @ Florida Panthers— Olivia Reiner (@ReinerOlivia) November 24, 2021
This game started like most have lately with the Flyers being shelled in their own zone for an extended period of time. It felt like last night was seeping over and it was going to be a long night until Konecny hit Farabee with a stretch pass and he cashed the breakaway in to make it 1-0.
From here the Flyers began to find their footing and put together high-energy shifts to build on. Giroux had a couple of prime chances that Bobrovsky was able to keep out, and Frost had a breakaway robbed due to an incorrect offside call.
Konecny was buzzing off the opening puck drop. His stretch passes and physicality in the first period is exactly the kind of play they’ve been needing from him.
The Panthers began the second frame getting the puck deep and keeping the Flyers in their zone. Martin Jones made an unreal save that kept the 1-0 lead afloat.
Oh yeah, Martin Jones just did that. 🛑 pic.twitter.com/pbvgzoU8x0— NHL (@NHL) November 25, 2021
Frank Vatrano picked up an unsportsmanlike penalty for Florida which Philadelphia couldn’t capitalize on. The powerplay numbers continue to dip even further and it is still a serious issue.
Morgan Frost started to get into a rhythm showing his improvement in the physical two-way game. The line of Farabee-Frost-Atkinson as a whole were enjoyable to watch tonight and I hope to see more. It seems like a trio that will continue to improve every single game as Farabee gets his touch back and Frost gets acclimated.
Sam Bennett potted a powerplay goal 4 minutes into the third to tie the game at 1-1. Radko Gudas and Konecny started going at it during post-whistle scrums and the pace began to pick up.
The Flyers managed to kill off a huge penalty with 3 minutes left in the game and on to overtime we went. After back-and-forth overtime, Aaron Ekblad fired a one-timer that beat Martin Jones and the Panthers won 2-1.
- Farabee-Frost-Atkinson is a line I’m excited to watch grow with every game, when they break through it’s hard to stop.
- Martin Jones was phenomenal stopping 43 of 45 and had that unreal save.
- Giroux couldn’t get the finish tonight but he was absolutely buzzing and had plenty of great chances.
- Konecny hitting Farabee and Frost (offside) with those stretch passes had me jumping out of my seat.
- Farabee got his stick whacked out of his hands in overtime and yet there was zero penalty call. I know the Panthers are home but that is brutal.
- I was impressed with Morgan Frost. Season debut after getting off the flight this morning and I thought he was strong on the puck and created opportunities.
- We still can’t score. The powerplay was better but struck out again. There’s a lot of work to do there.
Next up: Carolina Hurricanes on Friday (3:30 PM/NBCSP)
Mandatory Credit: Philadelphia Flyers