Hot Stove: Aaron Nola, Zack Wheeler land in Top 5 on updated Top 10 MLB Pitcher Duos list
Hot Stove updated their Top 10 Starting Pitcher Duos list with the Phillies’ Aaron Nola and Zack Wheeler sitting comfortably in the Top 5.
Full List: Hot Stove Top 10 Pitcher Duos
- Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander, Mets
- Shane McClanahan and Tyler Glasnow, Rays
- Corbin Burnes and Brandon Woodruff, Brewers
- Max Fried and Spencer Strider, Braves
- Aaron Nola and Zack Wheeler, Phillies
- Alek Manoah and Kevin Gausman, Blue Jays
- Yu Darvish and Blake Snell, Padres
- Clayton Kershaw and Julio Urías, Dodgers
- Gerrit Cole and Nestor Cortes, Yankees
- Framber Valdez and Cristian Javier, Astros
More from MLB.com on Aaron Nola and Zack Wheeler
Nola and Wheeler just pitched the Phillies to the brink of a World Series title, and they’re both so good that it’s hard to say who’s the No. 1 and who’s the No. 2. The 32-year-old Wheeler has had an ERA under 3.00 in all three of his seasons with the Phillies, while Nola is one of the great workhorses in baseball today, with 235 strikeouts in 205 innings in 2022.
The Phillies have been extremely active this offseason, signing Trea Turner, Taijuan Walker, and Matt Strahm. Zach Eflin and Kyle Gibson have both found new homes this offseason, leaving Dave Dombrowski and company some work to do to complete the rest of their starting rotation behind Nola, Wheeler, and Ranger Suarez.
No matter your opinion on Eflin, Gibson, and Noah Syndergaard, filling 376 combined innings is never easy, especially after you just committed $300M to your new shortstop for the next 11 years.
Taijuan Walker is one of 26 pitchers in the league that has thrown 150+ innings in both of the last two seasons. His 2022 season was a major improvement from 2021, lowering his ERA an entire point. He logged 157.1 innings in 2022, tallying a 3.49 ERA in 29 total starts for the New York Mets.
Walker struck out 132 batters while logging an ERA+ of 111, with a 3.65 FIP and a 1.195 WHIP. He struck out 7.6 batters every nine innings while allowing under one home run a game. He allowed just one home run every other start in 2022.
Phillies Potential Starting Rotation in 2023
- Aaron Nola
- Zack Wheeler
- Ranger Suarez
- Taijuan Walker
- Andrew Painter / Bailey Falter / Cristopher Sanchez