DeVonta Smith’s 4th down catch and Hasson Reddick’s forced fumble set the tone early for the Philadelphia Eagles last night
After losing the coin toss and 49ers deferring, the Philadelphia Eagles had the chance to take the field and make a statement early against the No. 1 defense in the NFL.
The result was an 11 play, 66 yard touchdown drive, that ate up 5 minutes and 12 seconds of clock, with DeVonta Smith making a RIDICULOUS one-handed catch on 4th down to set the tone for the rest of the game.
Eagles Touchdown Drive
- Kickoff – R.Gould kicks 60 yards from SF 35 to PHI 5. B.Scott to PHI 34 for 29 yards.
- 1st & 10 at PHI 34 – J.Hurts pass short right to A.Brown to PHI 40 for 6 yards.
- 2nd & 4 at PHI 40 – M.Sanders up the middle to PHI 46 for 6 yards.
- 1st & 10 at PHI 46 – J.Hurts pass short left to D.Goedert to PHI 48 for 2 yards.
- 2nd & 8 at PHI 48 – J.Hurts sacked ob at PHI 48 for 0 yards.
- 3rd & 8 at PHI 48 – J.Hurts pass short middle to A.Brown to SF 42 for 10 yards.
- 1st & 10 at SF 42 – M.Sanders up the middle to SF 42 for no gain.
- 2nd & 10 at SF 42 – J.Hurts pass incomplete short right to D.Goedert.
- 3rd & 10 at SF 42 – J.Hurts pass short middle to D.Goedert to SF 35 for 7 yards.
- 4th & 3 at SF 35 – J.Hurts pass deep left to D.Smith to SF 6 for 29 yards.
- 1st & 6 at SF 6 – J.Hurts pass incomplete short left to K.Gainwell.
- 2nd & Goal at SF 6 – Miles Sanders 6 Yd Rush J.Elliott extra point is GOOD.
Obviously, the biggest play on the drive outside of the actual touchdown scored by Miles Sanders, was the 4th & 3 where Jalen Hurts found DeVonta Smith down the sidelines for 29 yards. Smith, the Slim Reaper and taker of souls, hauled in the pass fully extended with one hand.
DeVonta Smith Ridiculous Catch on 4th Down
Originally tweeted by The Liberty Line (@LibertyLinePHL) on January 29, 2023.
On the 49ers first possession, Hasson Reddick was able to get to Brock Purdy and knock the football free, on what was initially ruled an incomplete pass. Philly challenged the play and it was reversed as the Eagles took over possession up 7-0.
Needless to say, if you’re looking for two plays that completely set the tone early in last night’s win, it was the DeVonta Smith catch followed by the Reddick strip.
Hasson Reddick Brock Purdy Strip
Originally tweeted by Yards Per Fantasy (@YardsPer) on January 29, 2023.
All things considered, the Philadelphia Eagles didn’t even play their best offensive game, but thanks to a balanced rushing attack against the No. 1 defense in the NFL, they were able to score a total of four rushing touchdowns, while Hurts expertly managed the game, completing 15-of-21 passes for 121 yards.
DeVonta Smith led the way for the Eagles’ wide receivers with 36 reception yards on two catches. AJ Brown caught four passes for 28 yards, while Kenny Gainwell (26) and Dallas Goedert (23) were the only other receivers to have double-digit yards in the game.