The Philadelphia Phillies were one of 19 MLB teams that did not select anyone in…
Here we go. The Philadelphia Phillies will host the Arizona Diamondbacks in Game 1 of the National League Championship Series tonight at Citizens Bank with Zack Wheeler on the mound facing D-Backs ace Zac Gallen.
Phillies NLCS Roster
There was some hope that Rhys Hoskins would be ready to join the Phillies for the NLCS, but unfortunately, that wasn’t the case when rosters were released earlier this morning. Jake Cave will be on the bench for the Phillies, with no other changes made from the NLDS roster.
NLCS SCHEDULE – Arizona Diamondbacks vs Philadelphia Phillies – TBS
- Game 1: Monday, October 16, at Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia – TBS/truTV 8:07 p.m. ET
- Game 2: Tuesday, October 17, at Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia – TBS/truTV 8:07 p.m. ET
- Game 3: Thursday, October 19, at Chase Field, Phoenix – TBS/truTV 5:07 p.m. ET
- Game 4: Friday, October 20, at Chase Field, Phoenix – TBS/truTV 8:07 p.m. ET
- Game 5: Saturday, October 21, at Chase Field, Phoenix – TBS/truTV 8:07 p.m. ET*
- Game 6: Monday, October 23, at Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia – TBS/truTV 5:07 p.m. ET*^
- Game 7: Tuesday, October 24, at Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia – TBS/truTV 8:07 p.m. ET*
Arizona Diamondbacks vs Philadelphia Phillies: 2023 Regular Season
|ARI at PHI||5/22/2023||L||3-6|
|ARI at PHI||5/23/2023||L||3-4|
|ARI at PHI||5/24/2023||W||6-5|
|PHI at ARI||6/12/2023||L||8-9|
|PHI at ARI||6/13/2023||W||15-3|
|PHI at ARI||6/14/2023||W||4-3|
|PHI at ARI||6/15/2023||W||5-4|
The Phillies won the regular season series against the Arizona Diamondbacks with a final record over 4-3. We are not counting the series in May (see above) so really, the only series that can even be considered is the four game one in the desert in mid-June when The Fightins took 3-of-4 from the then first place D-Backs in their own house.
Probable Starting Pitchers: Diamondbacks vs Phillies – NLCS
The Phillies have once again, set their rotation up perfectly by handling the Atlanta Braves in just four games during the NLDS. Zack Wheeler will take the mound for Game 1 on two days of extra rest. He will be followed of course, by Aaron Nola who will pitch Game 2 on an extra day rest. Ranger Suarez will get the call for Game 3 on two extra days rest.
From there, Rob Thomson and company will have a decision to make between Taijuan Walker and Christopher Sanchez for Game 4 in Arizona. Game 4 is the only one that the Phillies need to be mindful about. Since the NLCS is a best of seven series, Zack Wheeler will pitch Game 1 and Game 5, Aaron Nola Game 2 and Game 6, with Ranger Suarez taking the mound Game 7 if necessary.
For the D-Backs, after their first two starters in Zac Gallen and Merrill Kelly, they pretty much don’t have any other pitcher that has any business pitching in the NLCS. Arizona sent rookie Brandon Pfaadt to the mound in Game 1 of the NL Wild Series against the Brewers and he coughed up three runs on seven hits in just 2.2 innings of work. The D-Backs rookie carried a 5.72 ERA in the regular season, with opponents hitting .282 with a .862 OPS.
In the NLDS, Pfaadt did pitch better, throwing 4.1 scoreless innings against a Dodgers team that looked completely lost on at the plate. After the D-Backs go with Pfaadt, they are basically looking at a bullpen game for Game 4 against what’s likely to be a combination of Walker, Sanchez, and the bullpen for the Phillies.
D-Backs vs Phillies: Probably Pitching Matchups
- Game 1: Zac Gallen vs Zack Wheeler
- Game 2: Merrill Kelly vs Aaron Nola
- Game 3: Brandon Pfaadt vs Ranger Suarez
- Game 4: Taijuan Walker vs D-Backs Bullpen
- Game 5: Zac Gallen vs Zack Wheeler*
- Game 6: Merrill Kelly vs Aaron Nola*
- Game 7: Brandon Pfaadt vs Ranger Suarez*
Game 1: Zac Gallen vs Zack Wheeler
Zac Gallen will be making his third start of the postseason. In Game 1 against the Brewers, he held Milwaukee to just two runs over six innings in a 5-2 win for the D-Backs. He then allowed just two runs in 5.1 innings of work in Game 1 against the Dodgers, a game the D-Backs won 4-2.
In the regular season, Gallen posted a 3.47 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP with a 17-9 record over 210 innings pitched. Against the Phillies during the regular season, Gallen pitched once, allowing two runs in 5.2 innings in a Diamondbacks loss. Over his career against the Phillies, Gallen has been excellent, posting a 2.22 ERA and a 3-1 record in 24.1 innings pitched.
Zack Wheeler has been nothing short of dominant in his two postseason outings this year. Against the Marlins in the Wild Card, he allowed just one run over 6.2 innings of work and against the Braves in Game 2 of the NLDS, he tossed 6.1 innings, allowing three runs (two earned) in the Phillies’ lone loss of the postseason so far.
Wheeler allowed five runs (four earned), posting a 1-1 record in 12 innings against Arizona this season and has posted a very solid 2.96 ERA and a 6-3 record in 70 career innings.
Good Postseason: Phillies at the Plate
- Trea Turner: .500 BA, 4 2B, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 4 SB
- Nick Castellanos: .391 BA, 4 HR, 5 RBI
- JT Realmuto: .273 BA, 6 H, 2 HR, 6 RBI
- Bryce Harper: .368 BA, 7 H, 3 HR, 5 RBI, SB
- Brandon Marsh: .257 BA, 5 H, HR, RBI, SB
Bad Postseason: Phillies at the Plate
- Bryson Stott: .238 BA, 5 H, HR (GS), 7 RBI, SB
- Alec Bohm: .190 BA, 4 H
- Kyle Schwarber: .160 BA, 4 H, RBI
- Johan Rojas: .048 BA, H
Arizona Diamondbacks at Philadelphia Phillies – Citizens Bank Park – Philadelphia – 8:07PM EST
|Arizona Diamondbacks||+1.5 (-154)||+138||O 7 (-122)|
|Philadelphia Phillies||-1.5 (+128)||-164||U 7 (+100)|
DraftKings Sportsbook: Bet $5, Get $200 Instantly
- Sign up for a new DraftKings account
- Make Your First Deposit
- Bet $5+ On Any Sport
- Receive $200 In Bonus Bets Instantly