Union to enter the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in the Round of 32
After being cancelled in both 2020 & 2021 thanks to COVID-19 and ending 106 years of consecutive play, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is set to return in May 2022.
On Wednesday, U.S. Soccer announced the format for the 2022 competition and confirmed that the Philadelphia Union will enter in the Round of 32, which means more games added to the Union’s schedule starting in May. 17 MLS teams enter the third round on April 19-21, followed by the Union and seven other MLS teams in the Round of 32.
Their opponent will be announced on April 22nd, and the game will be held on May 10th or 11th.
The Union’s last appearance in the U.S Open Cup was in 2019 where they lost to D.C United on the road in extra time. The Union have made it to the finals three times but were defeated in 2014, 2015, and 2018. This year, the club looks to win the cup for the first time in club history while also competing in a busy MLS schedule.
May is already set to be the busiest travel month on the Union’s schedule. They first travel to Nashville on May 1st and then Los Angeles six days later to take on LAFC. This will only allow the Union to have three to four rest days between these two games. The Round of 16 is set to take place on May 24th or 25th, which gives the Union another short travel window after playing in Portland on the 22nd.
2022 LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP COMPETITION SCHEDULE
- Jan. 6 Open Division berth allocation announced
- Jan. 19 First Round pairings announced
- Jan. 26 Second Round pairings and possible pairings announced
- March 22-23 First Round (Open Division teams enter)
- April 5-7 Second Round (Division II and III teams enter)
- April 8 Third Round Draw
- April 19-21 Third Round (17 Division I teams enter)
- April 22 Round of 32 Draw
- May 10-11 Round of 32 (remaining 8 Division I teams enter)
- May 12 Round of 16/Quarterfinal Draw
- May 24-25 Round of 16
- June 21-22 Quarterfinals
- June 23 Semifinal/Final Hosting Draw
- July 26-27 Semifinals
- Sept. 6-7 or 13-14 Final
Mandatory Credit: US Soccer